When do I need to fill in a Tax Return?

You may be wondering why you have been sent a notice to complete a tax return, or whether or not you should be completing one for the year.

The list below explains when you need to prepare a self assessment, but should you need any further information, please do not hesitate to contact us; 

  • You were self employed at any point of the tax year (runs from 6 April to 5 April)
  • You received more than £2,500 of un-taxed income for renting property or from un-taxed savings
  • You received dividend income of over £5,000 in the year
  • Your investment income was £10,000 or more before tax
  • You made a profit from selling a second property or shares and owe Capital Gains Tax
  • You are a company director
  • Your income was more than £50,000 and you or your partner claimed Child benefit
  • You received overseas income and need to pay UK tax on it
  • You lived abroad and need to pay tax on your UK income
  • Your income was over £100,000 for the tax year
  • You were trustee of a trust or registered pension scheme
  • If HMRC have issued you with a tax return, you must still complete and submit it

If you would like any advice on whether or not you should be completing a Self Assessment, or would like help completing and filing a tax return, please call 0845 303 1144 or email info@coopercurtis.co.uk 

Post by Caroline

Post by Caroline

 Please note, all our content is for general guideline only, every case is different and we would recommend speaking to us before taking any action as a result of the content. The content was correct at the time it was published.